Friday, October 10, 2014

Potty Training: Day 1

So when I went to bed last night, potty training Mater was the very last thing I had in mind.  When I woke up this morning, I started thinking about this potty training idea I got years ago.  I asked Donald his thoughts about this technique (he didn't have any opinions), and at 9:00 this morning, I started potty training Mater.  What is this technique you ask?  Well...

We picked up every toy ("big boy toys" to be exact) in this house, except for Dorothy's baby toys, and put them away into storage.  I put away most of his books, which he loves, because they are "big boy books."  I took away his "big boy blankies" and "big boy tiger" (stuffed that he sleeps with).  He can't watch movies or even "Curious George" because that is only for "big boys."  I even put him in the high chair, rather than his booster seat, to eat lunch today, and yes, I even fed him his lunch and held his sippy cup for him as he took drinks.  I put pull-up on him with "big boy underwear" over that.  I set a timer for 20 minutes, and every 20 minutes I got him onto the potty, one way or another.

We start PT (potty training) him after Dorothy was born, but we just couldn't get him to poop in the potty.  Well, Mommy is sick and tired of having two babies in diapers.

All day, we've talked about the "big boy" things he can't do anymore because he is a baby because he still uses a diaper.  We do use M&Ms as a treat for using the potty, so I use that as a way to get him to sit on the potty if he isn't doing it voluntarily.

He has already told me he wants his toys, but when I told him that they were only for "big boys" and he couldn't have them till he used the potty he got upset.  He has gotten upset a few times about it today, but that's OK; my job is NOT to make him happy 100% of the time.  He wants to play with his fire truck, but he can't.  He wants to play dinosaurs, but he can't.  He wants to play with his big combine, tractors, color, and watch "Peter Pan," but he can't because that is only for big boys.  I did tell him though that if he poops in the potty then we get to watch a movie together.

Before I started this huge task this morning, I did seriously consider the upside and downside of this.  Downside: we can't play tractors, dinosaurs, and watch movies together.  Upside: there is less crap in my tiny little house, he has to find something to do besides play with toys.

I have absolutely no idea if this is the right thing to do or not, but I don't care.  I'm trying it.  I seriously think it is going very well though.  I will keep you updated.




No comments:

Post a Comment